Tuesday, October 03, 2006

o2. Another Modification for What's Already Overrated.

o2. The article suggests that iPod video lectures are effective for '"kinesthetic learners",” who tend to be hands-on, active, and require frequent breaks." Do you think that you would learn well using an iPod? Why or why not?

It seems as if there are a never-ending number of possibilities of advancement for the iPod. First, iPods were mp3 players that then became mp4 players, and then proceeded to become radio stations. Now, we have another modification, video lectures on the iPod! While I can’t say I’m too surprised or pleased with the modification of what I feel is an already overrated piece of technology, I can definitely see some advantages to what is being proposed and tested here.

The iPod video lectures are certainly hands-on and interactive as compared to listening to a teacher while sitting in a classroom. I feel that I would be able to learn extremely well using the iPod video lectures. As a student of Mary Ward, I prefer to learn at my own pace and make up my own schedule, deciding everything for myself. The iPod video lectures would help me further that self-directed learning even more. With this type of video lecture, I can decide when I want to listen to the lecture and let’s me take a break or stop it if I need to. It also enables me to repeat the lecture if needed or even a specific part of the lecture if I don’t understand it the first time. An iPod is also compact and portable, allowing me to take it everywhere I go. Therefore, that would also enable me to listen to my lecture wherever I am. If I have an extremely busy schedule, I could listen to the lecture “on the go” so I can save time in order to fit in everything else that I have scheduled for the day. It would allow for more free time instead of sitting in a classroom for hours listening to a teacher give a lecture that we probably won’t even remember.

However, at the same time, the iPod video lecutres would prove a disadvantage to the students of Mary Ward. While it's okay for older university students to use this type of technology effectively, it wouldn't be okay for the younger students (Grade Nine and possiblly Grade Ten} to use such a device. This type of learning would only work well for the people who are independent and require the freedom of learning. Students in the younger grades (especially Grade Nine) have just come out of elementary school and are not yet used to the measure of independence given to us at Mary Ward let alone have all their lectures on an iPod. It would leave them feeling totally lost and stranded because they aren't used to any sort of independence just yet. I feel that the iPod video lecutres do take away a lot of the interaction between students and teachers as well. Especially in Mary Ward, seminars are ways for the teachers to figure out where their students are in the course and who's who. Put in the iPod video lectures, and the students will feel absolutely no need to physically see their teachers, both students and teachers will become strangers to each other. This is one of the most important problems that Mary Ward teachers have been trying to solve and the iPod video lectures won't help in solving that problem.

After weighing the pros and cons, I would have to (grudgingly) say that the iPod video lectures would indeed be a great learning tool for university students and also Mary Ward students because of the freedom and independence that the students receive. However, there are always limits to which technology can be used, and they should be well noticed and acknowledged, especially when it is involved with some part of our educational learning.

6 Comments:

Blogger Craz.E Freak said...

If you grudgingly agree that iPods can be very useful, then why agree? Remember, the blog is for your opinion on the subject.

The student-teacher connection seems to be overrated in my opinion. Definitely in universities, the professors do not create much of a connection with the students to begin with. Either you're there or you're not. As for Mary Ward, it may be slightly important as it IS high school, but as for being a self-directed school, yet again I do not see the absolute need to connect. But in order to avoid being a hypocrite, I will say that it is your opinion and you have backed it up with enough points.

Very minor grammatical and spelling errors. Great job!

11:53 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Vincent's criticism.

I am against some of Vincent's points though. I believe that teacher connection is very important since not only will you be asking for assistance in your learning, you will also be proving that you are truly interested in learning. Furthermore, I think that would give the teacher more inspiration to teach you.

I sense a little familiarity of this article to mine. Perhaps we think alike?

3:41 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could edit or delete my post to add something. I would like to add, what happened to "o1." when you only have "o2."? I am shocked.

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger Andy said...

I have to agree with Craz.E Freak, because I feel the video lecture technology won't benefit high school students much. Many high schools don't have independant learning. Plus, interation with teachers is an important aspect in the development of an adolescence. But that's just my opinion.

Great article!

7:28 p.m.  
Blogger Ryan said...

Excellent blog entry and i enjoyed reading your points. I think your examples of bringing in a Mary Ward student in the situation was very clever. It is very true that many students these days already have trouble seeing their teachers at Mary Ward and having Ipod lectures would only worsen this fact. Another great point you included was that we (gr. 9's and 10's) need to adjust to independence and i think this is a good way too but of course too much in this case could be unhelpful.

5:27 p.m.  
Blogger Largo said...

This is an interesting thread of discussion. Some of the best learning occurs through human interaction. As babies, this is how we learn to walk, speak, converse, argue etc. Teachers offer human interaction. Knowledge is something that doesn't simply construct itself in your head, but is informed by the people and society around you. Teachers act as a guides to point you to other ways to thinking and considering things that you may have never thought. Nothing can ever replace learning through human interaction. An iPod is just a facilitation tool.

2:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home